Saturday, May 28, 2011

In The Dark

The Equal Pay Act was past back in 1963, two years after I was born.  I'm sure I supported it back then, and I still do.  I think men and women should get the same pay for the same job.

I kind of want to follow that with a big DUH.

Having said that, I would like to propose that there is little equality in jobs around the average household.  My friend describes this phenomena as pink jobs and blue jobs, and I think her terminology is brilliant.  Of course definitions may vary from house to house, but the idea is spot on.

At my house, building fences is a blue job.  So is cutting the Thanksgiving turkey, putting new string in the weed whacker, putting lights on the Christmas tree, adding windshield washer fluid in the cars, barbecuing, and rolling up extension cords.  Typical pink jobs would include washing the dog, dusting, washing windows, cleaning out the refrigerator, all flower maintenance, mending, and generally making things look pretty.

Are you tracking here?

Unfortunately, I have a big problem.  My son got married and grew up on me; this is my first summer in many years without a blue person in the house.  So ALL jobs at my house are now a murky shade of lavender.

I can deal with the weed wacker and the windshield washer fluid, but there is one blue job that I absolutely hate with a tremendous passion.

I hate changing light bulbs.

The other morning the light bulb right above the upstairs shower made a loud popping noise and gave up the ghost.  The light in my entry way died about a week ago, and last night I turned on the light in my bedroom and it was dead.  I have three track lights out in the kitchen and one in the living room.  There is one light out in the downstairs bathroom, and the back porch light is out.

I think that's it.

It's a good thing it stays so light around here in the summer, or I'd be in trouble. And I have at least three months to save up enough money to fly my son up here so he can change my light bulbs before it gets dark.

Hey, he did it when he was home for Christmas.

If he can't come, I'll just use a lot of candles.

Lighting candles is a pink job.


No comments:

Post a Comment